Follow the Progress of 'Raymund and the Fear Monster
October 2013 - December 2013
I wrote the story for children in an orphanage in the Philippines who I met in June 2013. I illustrated the book and put it all together. I printed out four copies as a Photobook through Officeworks. January 1st 2014 I gave them their copy. They still read it today, 2016
2014- January 2015
Put Raymund and the Fear Monster away on the shelf. It was done! Wasn't it?
Talked to parents about my story. Read it to them. Entered into conversations about childhood fears and wanting more books with strategies in them, but not a self help book for kids with bad pictures. A fun book that would draw them in. Started re-working Raymund.
Put Raymund on the backburner for awhile. Worked on other stories.
Did a Writing Picture Book course through the Australian Writer's Centre. Wrote a different version of Raymund that fit with the PB format.
Start re-working Raymund... again.
Wanted to throw up on Raymund and never lay eyes on it again.
I came across Jen Storer's post Right Story, Wrong Format. Attended my writer's group meeting where we learned about dialogue. I worked on a piece of dialogue from Raymund. Light bulb moment. Re-wrote Raymund. Actually started feeling excited. Okay. There was a happy dance involved.
I had the wonderful opportunity to present the new and improved version to students at Kosciuszko Street Primary School. They loved it and wanted more. Yay!
Ester and I feel that Raymund is ready to meet the world and discuss self-publishing options.
- 12th November: Ester and I finalise details of which company we will go with and how we will go about self-publishing Raymund and the Fear Monster.
- 17th November: Woohoo! The announcement on my blog.
- 18th November: Manuscript sent to editor for assessment.
- 25th November: Manuscript assessment is received back. Now to read it through, let in sink in, and let the perculation begin. Very exciting to see what the editor has noticed.
- 27th November: Start the rewrite.
- 29th November: Type up new version. I'm loving how the story is sounding.
- 30th November: Had a free mentoring session through Small Business Mentoring Bus for Ester and I to sort through what we separately needed to do for our individual businesses, as well as working together on this project. Yay! Such great advice and well worth the time.
- 30th November: Ester and I work through the manuscript to see what she would show in illustrations, as well as words that could change. It's great to be able to work so closely with an illustrator who is also a writer.
- From 30th November: Ester is working on the pagination. Pagination for a 48 page illustrated story takes awhile. It's a process that cannot be rushed.
- 11th December: Ester shows me some thumbs that she has done. (No! Not an appendage of your hand.) They look so good. We chat more about size of the final book, layout, and look of the final book. Pagination is going to take awhile due to the time of year (Christmas and end of school year), and Ester is also working on another prior project.
- 14th December: All about on-line Marketing. Another Small Business Mentoring session. This time it was just me with a mentor. Now I have some very clear ways to tweak what I am already doing, and ways to add to my overall marketing plan. So glad that I started early as there is so much to learn and to implement.
- 30th December: Woohoo! The thumbs are done. Paginition is done. Now to send the manuscript with pagination off to the editor.
- 3rd January: I sent the manuscript off to my editor for the next stage of edits. Due to holidays, I thought it would take awhile.
- 9th January: Confirmation that the edit is underway.
- 11th January: Edited manuscript is ready for me to check. Ahhhh! What a big job ahead.
- 19th January: I have finally gone through the edited manuscript and tabled all the changes. Table has been emailed back to the editor. Skype call with editor next week to through it together and hash out any final points.
- 23rd January: Skype call with editor to go over the manuscript and iron out any last words that may need changing.
- 25th January: Email from editor: Final of Raymund and the Fear Monster. Phew! What a relief. It is finally done and no more rewrites. Yay. Happy dancing. Now over to Ester for the illustrations. This will take a while as Ester is working on a prior project.
- 20th May: Attended KidLitVic2017 - Meet the Publishers Conference in Melbourne. While there, I attended a School Visit Workshop. I am now more prepared to deliver fun, interactive, engaging workshops and school visits.
- 25th: I am busy working on a series of workshops for adults, and a series for children. Overcome Fear. Live Courageously.